When I build a service business website for a client, I add a set of ready made portfolio posts. I save these posts as draft posts, so they don’t display on your website until you add your own text and then publish the post. You might also want to add an image gallery to each post.
After you edit and then publish these draft posts, WordPress automatically lists the posts on a page named portfolio. (See screenshots and instructions.)
So first, your site visitor clicks the portfolio link in the navigation bar. Then they see a page displaying all the posts in your portfolio. By clicking one of the links on your portfolio page the reader can open the particular portfolio post that interests them.
I’ve made these portfolio posts as easy as possible to edit.
- First go to: Dashboard > Posts > All Posts.
- Hover over a draft post, then choose edit.
- In the right-hand sidebar select a featured image.
- And change the manual excerpt text.
- Now edit the post content. Change the post title and change the text on the page. When your post is in edit mode, highlight any text on the page and type your own text to replace it.
- Underneath the text on your page, add an image gallery block. The image gallery block lets you upload photos to display as a group of images on that page.
- Set the thumbnail images to open the full-size image when clicked.
And when you’re ready, don’t forget to publish the post to save your work so it becomes live on the Internet.
Screenshots showing how to use the draft portfolio posts.
First go to: Dashboard > Posts > All Posts.
Hover over a draft post, then choose edit.
Replace the demo text.
In the right-hand sidebar select a featured image.
And change the manual excerpt text.
Now edit the post content. Change the post title and change the text on the page. When your post is in edit mode, highlight any text on the page and type your own text to replace it.
- Highlight then replace the post title.
- Highlight then replace the page text that describes the work you did.
- Upload a featured image. This image can be used as a banner at the top of your portfolio page.
- Type a manual excerpt in this box. This excerpt can be set to display just below your post title. Adding a manual excerpt is optional.
- Save the post as a draft or publish the post. Draft posts don’t display on the internet, after you press the publish button your post will display on your site for your website visitors to see.
Adding an image gallery to your portfolio.
Underneath the text on your page, add an image gallery block. The image gallery block lets you upload photos to display as a group of images on that page.
- Hover between two existing blocks.
- Click the plus icon.
- Search for the gallery block.
- Select the photos you want to include.
- Insert the gallery.
- Make sure the thumbnail images open the full size images.
Hover BETWEEN the headline and paragraph.
Search for, then select, the gallery block.
After clicking the blue icon a search box appears. In this block selector search box, search for the Gallery block.
Upload your photos.
On your computer, navigate to the photos you want to upload to this gallery.
In the Link To drop-down, select: Media File.
You can also add a caption to the thumbnail images if you wish.
When your site visitor clicks a thumbnail, a larger version of the image will open.
When you’re ready, publish your post.
As you write your post, click save draft. Then, when your post is ready, click the big blue publish button.